Christmas is a great time to create holiday bliss in your home with your family gathered round and doing fun things together. Traditions can truly help strengthen your family ties so that for years to come you and your children will remember the fun things you did as a family every year at Christmas time.
Use the following five suggestions to make your holiday game plan so that you can make some magical memories and bring joy into your Christmas traditions year after year.
1. Decide which activities you want to incorporate into your holiday this year. These activities can become your traditions. There are so many ideas such as making a candy house together, going for sleigh rides, snow shoeing, watching the Nutcracker together, the list goes on and on. What did you do as a child at Christmas that you now do with your children or what do you want to start doing with your children at Christmas? Ask around. See what other families you know do for fun at Christmas time. Get a journal or notebook that you can call your holiday journal and write these ideas down! Don’t forget to ask your children and spouse for their ideas too!
2. Use a holiday calendar to map out dates and times that you want to participate in your chosen activities. Don’t forget to include extended family, neighborhood, or church parties. Also calendar in family members’ Christmas music or dance recitals. Purchase or make an advent calendar for each person in your family. (It can be as simple as something you do on the computer.) Meet with your children at the beginning of December and give them the calendar with all the fun scheduled events. You can also meet once a week as a family to go over the activities you will doing during the week. Adapt this for older and younger children.
3. Make a list of items that you will need to have on hand to use for your activity/tradition. Be prepared and you will make it happen.
4. BE FLEXIBLE! If an activity isn’t going to work out for that day, switch it with something that will work. Be creative and create your own joyful memories! You can have a couple of simple back up activities in case you need a back up plan.
5. Keep track in your holiday journal! Make a note of the activities and traditions that work well for your family this holiday season so you can repeat them next year! Once you repeat an activity it becomes a tradition.
Use these five ideas and make magical memories that will bring more joy into your family Christmas traditions and will leave you and your family wanting to do it all over again next year!